Author Topic: Docker image for JTS3ServerMod  (Read 18857 times)

PhALDan

• View Profile
Docker image for JTS3ServerMod
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »

I've created a Docker image for the JTS3ServerMod some time ago and until today this image has almost 3k downloads. This image is the most downloaded image for the JTS3ServerMod and I thought it would be interesting for some folks here. The first part is about using the Docker image and the second part is an introduction into docker, because not everyone knows what Docker is. This image is size optimised and is based on the official openjdk:8-jre-alpine image. More information about the image can be found on the page at the official Docker Hub.

Running the Docker image:
Code: [Select]
$ docker run --name jts3servermod -d -v ${PWD}/config:/JTS3ServerMod/config -v ${PWD}/log:/JTS3ServerMod/log phaldan/jts3servermod
As seen in the command for running the image the installation is located in the /JTS3ServerMod folder inside the image and from there different parts of the JTS3ServerMod can be mount with volumes into the image like the configuration or the log folder. Differently then in the official JTS3ServerMod the log files like the JTS3ServerMod_InstanceManager.log are located in the log folder at the image. Within a Docker images it makes more sense to have a specific folder for the log files and with this solution it is much easier to write these log files to the host or another file system.

What is Docker?
Docker is the world’s leading software container platform. Developers use Docker to eliminate “works on my machine” problems when collaborating on code with co-workers. Operators use Docker to run and manage apps side-by-side in isolated containers to get better compute density. Enterprises use Docker to build agile software delivery pipelines to ship new features faster, more securely and with confidence for both Linux, Windows Server, and Linux-on-mainframe apps.

Containers are a way to package software in a format that can run isolated on a shared operating system. Unlike VMs, containers do not bundle a full operating system - only libraries and settings required to make the software work are needed. This makes for efficient, lightweight, self-contained systems and guarantees that software will always run the same, regardless of where it’s deployed.

More information can be found at the official Docker website.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

os-net

• JTS3ServerMod Internal
    • View Profile
Re: Docker image for JTS3ServerMod
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
would you mind alter your image ?
i'd like to have  telnet back on  and the config  for mysql.

thanks in advance

PhALDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
would you mind alter your image ?
i'd like to have  telnet back on  and the config  for mysql.

thanks in advance

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know Telnet and MySQL are both features, that are only available in the JTS3ServerMod Hosting Edition. The phaldan/jts3servermod Docker image contains the public available editon and not the JTS3ServerMod Hosting Edition.

nmbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »
is this docker image still valid or is it dead?
are there any "new" supported docker images?

PhALDan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
This is image is still active and offers a tag for the latest version (6.5.5).
There is no newer version since January 27, 2019.

I merged a lot of pull request since January and updated alpine base image from 3.9 to 3.10.2, but there is no tag with updated base image.
Normally I don't update tags and wait until a new version of JTS3ServerMod to publish a new tag with updated base image.

Is something missing or have you any problems with the latest tag?

nmbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 12:06:03 AM »
This is image is still active and offers a tag for the latest version (6.5.5).
There is no newer version since January 27, 2019.

I merged a lot of pull request since January and updated alpine base image from 3.9 to 3.10.2, but there is no tag with updated base image.
Normally I don't update tags and wait until a new version of JTS3ServerMod to publish a new tag with updated base image.

Is something missing or have you any problems with the latest tag?

I'm new to docker. So I've got no idea on what tag means. :)
I just asked because I'm on my way to start using docker on my vps and wanted to make sure there was a working way of running teamspeak server in docker before switching over to docker.

PhALDan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 07:20:11 AM »
Docker tags are a simple way to reference a specific docker image. The unique identifier for an image is about 64 characters long (sha256) and it is a lot simpler to use a short version number instead.

I still use teamspeak with JTS3ServerMod together and run both via docker without any problems.

nmbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »
Docker tags are a simple way to reference a specific docker image. The unique identifier for an image is about 64 characters long (sha256) and it is a lot simpler to use a short version number instead.

I still use teamspeak with JTS3ServerMod together and run both via docker without any problems.

seems i cant get this to work.

i run the command as mentioned in the original post.
But i cant find the files/folder when i SSH to the machine running it.
and when i try to start it i get an error message saying:
JTS3ServerMod InstanceManager configuration file does not exists, check file path:

/JTS3ServerMod/config/JTS3ServerMod_InstanceManager.cfg

Error while loading the JTS3ServerMod InstanceManager config file, read error messages above to know more. Quitting now...

PhALDan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 11:18:36 PM »
The directories config and log are create by docker automatically in the same directory, where you executed the docker run command.

But JTS3ServerMod doesn't create config files on the first run. You have to create them on your own. Here is a basic example, what should be inside of your config directory:
https://github.com/phaldan/docker-JTS3ServerMod/tree/master/config

This part is also described on the docker hub page of my docker image:
https://hub.docker.com/r/phaldan/jts3servermod/

nmbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »
How do i update the jts3servermod container to the latest version (when a new one is available)?
couldnt find any information on that.

EDIT: nevermind. i solved it..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:40:26 PM by nmbrg »